Friday, August 20, 2010

Could my dog be a carrier for ringworm?

For the last seven months My dog has been to three vets and tried all kinds of fungal medicine, shampoos and cremes, but the say he doesn't have it.The problem is: I, my sister and my 4 year old niece have gotten dozens and dozens of them, back to back. In that time his skin scrape tested negative for fungus. I just wanna know could dogs still carry this without having ringworm themselves?

Could my dog be a carrier for ringworm?
Interesting question. Your dog could cetainly be a vector for ringworm, a dermatophytic fungal infection. In fact, ringworm from an animal source....zoonosis.....is a more severe infection for humans. Now, lets look at the possibility your dog is still harboring the fungus. It is quite possible for a skin scraping to be negative. It is also possible for the fungus to be on some other area of the dogs body. I have to wonder if all the medication is making it harder to find on the dog, but still be present in high enough numbers to be infectious. Also, is there any other potential animal sources? Does your dog "play" with anyone elses dogs? Do any of your neighbors have similar problems with their pets or themselves? Any dermatophytic infection can be quite difficult to erradicate, particularly if there is an outside source.

alstroemeria

No comments:

Post a Comment