Monday, August 23, 2010

Should we make our dog an outdoor dog or find a good home for her?

We recently took our 16 mos old daughter to an allergist for a skin test. She's been having bad eczema type outbreaks and they've been getting worse. Well, it turns out she's highly allergic to dog dander. We have a black lab and they just adore each other. Our dog has been with us since we found her on the side of the road when she was 12 weeks old (she's 6 now). We just paid $1500 for surgery to have a cancer mass removed from her leg to boot. The allergist suggests we get rid of the dog...he said we can put her outdoors but it will only clear up my daughter's problems by 80%. I know my daughter's health outranks my dogs but I have been getting so much information and stories from people in the same or similar scenario where they kept their dogs and made things work out and then I heard stories about how people got rid of theirs and then when the kid was like 16 they introduced a dog and things were fine. It's such a tough decision that I thought I'd never have to make.

Should we make our dog an outdoor dog or find a good home for her?
I would try to find another loving home for her. Keeping the dog outside is very cruel as dogs are pack animals and therefore like to be (and should be) together with their families. Also, chaining would be very cruel and could/would cause the dog to become aggressive. For the benefit of your daughter and your dog, I think a new home would be best. Whatever you do, PLEASE do a thorough background check on anyone who expresses interest in your dog. There are plenty of low-lifes out there who will pretend to be kind and then turn around and do unspeakable acts of cruelty toward animals. Please make sure you really check out the person or persons the dog may be going home with. You can find an excellent "warning" video about this on my website. Just go to my "video" page at http://maketheconnection.co.nr The video is called, "Animal Abuse - Free to a Good Home".
Reply:If there is no way to deal with the skin issues, like creams or pills or even oatmeal baths, I'd find him a new home. It is hard but putting a dog that has lived in a home for a while outdoors will be stressing on him. Try to treat her issues any way you can, seeing as she does like the dog a lot. And if you cannot help her out any way, then have him surrendered to a 'NO kill' shelter where he can find a new home. It is very hard but sometimes thats how it is, good luck and god bless.


No comments:

Post a Comment