Monday, August 23, 2010

I haven't always been, but now I'm very allergic to my dog. What can I do?

I've had my dog for 11 years now, and for the first 7 or so I had no allergy problems with him at all (I'm not allergic to my cat either)





But, when he was 7 he started to develop a skin disorder where he gets a black fungus on his underside. It started off very mild and I could usually get it to clear up with some creams my vet gave me, however in the last few months it's gotten really bad.





My white carpet is now a medium grey, even though I'm having it cleaned every month. He is shedding dead skin all over, and I'm very allergic to the new smell he's gotten and I'm very allergic to my house as well now.





I don't know what to do with him. He also has hip-displacement, cataracts, frequent ear infections, and another side effect of his skin fungus is that it makes his legs itch, and he'll occasionally bite them open and bleed.





That said, his brain is still totally healthy, so there is NO WAY I'm gonna let him be put down. Sadly, I don't think I can take care of him like this. Ideas?

I haven't always been, but now I'm very allergic to my dog. What can I do?
This is such a tough situation. I would go to your doctor, or an allergist and get a prescription for an allergy medicine. I am in no way advocating that you put your dog to sleep, but just food for thought; Sometimes when dogs have that many medical problems, their brains are still fine, but they are so uncomfortable that the quality of their life is not good. My westie had so many problems that the doctors couldn't fix and he was simply miserable. We loved him enough to let him go.


Carpets are replaceable. Buy an air purifier, that will help get the allergens out of the air, and might make him feel better too! Buy a vaccuum with a hepa filter.


If as a last resort you decide you have to give him to someone else, PLEASE make sure it's a good home where he will be happy and well cared for. Perhaps where you can still visit him!
Reply:Lucky is a Smart Little Cookie.


No comments:

Post a Comment